[BBLISA] A summary: emergency pagers

Christopher Allison bblisa.org-bblisa at chrisallison.net
Thu Mar 18 11:58:33 EDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Internaut at Large wrote:

> Is there any reason why we can't use text-to-speech?  I mean, have
> Nagios call phones

Dave Josephson covered this in his February 2009 "iVoyeur" column in
Usenix ";login:". The first half of the article covers sending SMS from
Nagios via a cellphone tethered to the Nagios box, the second half covers
using said cellphone + Asterisk to provide a fallback to audible alerts,
and proposes extending this further by implementing phone-based menus to
process responses.

Since it has been a year since publication, the PDF is now freely
available online (no subscription/login required):

Article: "iVoyeur: Message in a Bottle -- Replacing Email Warnings with
SMS" by Dave Josephsen

ToC: http://usenix.org/publications/login/2009-02/
PDF: http://usenix.org/publications/login/2009-02/pdfs/josephsen.pdf

-Chris Allison
--
Systems Administrator,
Michtom School of Computer Science, Brandeis University