[BBLISA] A summary: emergency pagers

Ryan Pugatch rpug at linux.com
Thu Mar 18 10:26:55 EDT 2010

Here is a summary of solutions mentioned in response to my posting to
BBLISA and SAGE:

- Dean Anderson mentions this article:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/linuxjournal.com/ufiles/LJ191_UsingSMSforNagios.pdf
which involves using an SMS device to interface with Nagios.  The
MultiTech device in the article is mentioned by Daniel Rich.

- Lukas Karlsson uses QuickPage - http://www.qpage.org/ with a modem and
POTS line.  There were a few others suggesting qpage as well.

- Derek Balling suggests the Siemens TC65T - several others recommend
using an old cell phone or modem to send the texts directly.

- Jens Link and Daniel Rich mentioned the decreasing lack of support for
TAP (and also lack of support for WCTP)

- Several suggestions about having multiple types of notification in
case one fails.

- Brian de Smet suggests www.pagerduty.com but Phil Pennock said his
colleague had encountered some trouble with them.

- A couple of people mentioned that AT&T has an enterprise paging option
that gives you an SLA for your texts.  http://enterprisepaging.com/faq.jsp

I hope I didn't miss any of the suggestions.

I think the route I am going to go is to grab a MultiTech iSMS and put
it on to AT&T with an enterprise paging plan.  Then I can have big
brother use the API to send messages.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Ryan