[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Mar 16 18:03:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Internaut at Large wrote:

> Greetings,

> > > Umm ... here you've gone off the deep end, my friend.  UUCP, IPv4, and
> > > IPv6 running side by side by side.  Not a problem.  Do you need some
> > > help in your configurations?  I'm sure there are some qualified people
> > > on this list who are more than happy to help ...
> >
> > No, you just have been trying out your configurations, nor looking at
> > what is really going on with the network when you are running both.
>
> I'm so glad you know exactly what I was doing.

I know whats out there for home use, what you could be doing.  I know
that these little demos don't really represent how well IPV6 works.

> > Try, just try, turning off IPv4, and blocking traffic to IPv4 root
> > nameservers for example.
>
> Why would I do that?  Then I'd be running only IPv6, not IPv4 and IPv6
> side by side, which, you said, was impossible?

Yes. I said things will break when you turn off IPv4.  If you can't turn
off IPV4, what's the point of having IPv6?

And also, obviously, since IPV6 isn't supported by most sites, nor
routed by many ISPs, and you didn't notice their non-operation, you were
just getting nat'ed to IPV4 by your tunnel provider. So you weren't
really running IPv6, just a tunnel protocol;  IPV6 was just stripped off
along with the IPSEC headers and natted to the IPV6 tunnel's IPV4
address.  This isn't really running IPV6.  Its more like an IPV6
point-to-point protocol.

> Now you are claiming that that's the only way to do it?  And yes, as a
> test, I did bring the machines, in question, up in only IPv6 mode, and
> tested, and everything worked for the day of the test, why do you ask?

Oh. Really. Did you get to sites that aren't using IPV4?

> Are you incapable of configuring your machines to run any way you
> want?  Again, if you need help, I'm sure there are competent folks
> here that can help you.

Haha.  Did I insult you?  I didn't mean to insult you; just inform you
that you have many misconceptions of what IPV6 will get for you.

> And someone from the Rhine institute called.  They said that you
> should know their number and call them back.

I don't know the Rhine institute, so I don't get your joke.  But
whatever it is, I think the joke must be on you, since you do know who
the Rhine institute is and know their number.

		--Dean

617 256 5494