[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Internaut at Large dkap at mailhost.haven.org
Tue Mar 16 15:39:39 EDT 2010

Greetings,

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 10:00 -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Internaut at Large wrote:
> > > IPV4 and IPV6 are like siamese twins, and the separation surgery is just
> > > as ugly and can kill both.  Indeed, ISPs will need Dr. CLNS and Nurse
> > > IS-IS just to perform the surgery.... Why not just put Dr. CLNS in
> > > charge now and not have simase twins? ;-)
> >
> > Umm ... here you've gone off the deep end, my friend.  UUCP, IPv4, and
> > IPv6 running side by side by side.  Not a problem.  Do you need some
> > help in your configurations?  I'm sure there are some qualified people
> > on this list who are more than happy to help ...
>
> No, you just have been trying out your configurations, nor looking at
> what is really going on with the network when you are running both.

I'm so glad you know exactly what I was doing.

> Try, just try, turning off IPv4, and blocking traffic to IPv4 root
> nameservers for example.

Why would I do that?  Then I'd be running only IPv6, not IPv4 and IPv6
side by side, which, you said, was impossible?  Now you are claiming
that that's the only way to do it?  And yes, as a test, I did bring the
machines, in question, up in only IPv6 mode, and tested, and everything
worked for the day of the test, why do you ask?  Are you incapable of
configuring your machines to run any way you want?  Again, if you need
help, I'm sure there are competent folks here that can help you.

And someone from the Rhine institute called.  They said that you should
know their number and call them back.

> 		--Dean

-dkap