[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Mar 15 20:01:50 EDT 2010

I think the easiest way to play around is to install netbsd.  But I know
of nothing quite turnkey at this minute.  Users come after ISPs on the
install tree.

BTW, I didn't invent this.  This was already thought about in documents
like RFC1629.  We didn't follow through on this because the IPV6 crowd
convinced people that they had lots of bells and whistles and that they
could succeed faster than ISO. They didn't deliver on either of those
promises.  Time to go with plan A.

But before CLNS can be deployed to end users, there are also some
practical things to attend to and bring uptodate. For example, URIs are
now pervasive in a way that wasn't considered in 1994;  a lot of
applications assume TCP or UDP behaviors beyond socket creation.  To
accomodate those assumptions one would have to transport TCP and UDP
protocols over CNLP to make it easy to transport existing applications
from IPV4 to CLNP.  We need dns naming for CLNP.  We need a NAT from
IPV4 to CLNS.  But this could all be done in the next two years, while
ISP in the meantime deploy IS-IS.

		--Dean

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, John Stoffel wrote:

> Dean> By contrast, IS-IS handles multiple protocols in one process with less
> Dean> overhead.  Configuaration & route distribution is always consistent.
> Dean> There are no inter-op problems, and we know its going to work.  Its a
> Dean> no-brainer to use IS-IS instead of OSPF4 and OSPF6 together.  So once
> Dean> you see that no brainer, the next obvious no-brainer is to use CLNS
> Dean> instead of IPV6.  Once again, all the benefits of IPV6, none of the
> Dean> drawbacks.  There are no inter-op worries with CLNS.
>
> Ok, so how would I, as an end-user, deploy CLNS on my home machine so
> I can use this super-duper protocol?  From the reading I just did in
> Wikipedia, it doesn't look possible at all.
>
> While it may be superior of IPv6, it's not going to be of any use if
> it can't be deployed by end-users and regular users.
>
> I don't know, I'm not an ISP person at all.
>
> John

617 256 5494