[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Benjamin Cline brc at peppermint.org
Sun Mar 14 00:31:59 EST 2010

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> What's your point?  I assumed in the original question "how can a router
> route IPv6 if it doesn't know IPv6" the intent was to demonstrate IPv6 was
> unusable unless you had ISP and/or intermediate router support for it.  I
> assumed the literal term _routing_ was not the single important word in the
> question.  And I assumed that it would be valuable to demonstrate that IPv6
> is usable even if your ISP or some intermediate router doesn't support IPv6.

Your assumption was incorrect. The point I was trying to make is that
Mr. Anderson seems to be ascribing IS-IS the magical ability to make a
non-IPv6 capable of routing IPv6 packets and I simply do not see how
this is possible. And should I develop some insane urge to tunnel IPv6
through an ISO network, I certainly wouldn't use IS-IS as the transport
mechanism (which would probably take some hacking, but I expect could be
made to work after a fashion).

Exercise for the reader: Explain the difference between a _routing_
protocol and a _routable_ protocol.

> Did I misunderstand the question?  Who cares if some dumb Linksys or your
> ISP don't know anything about IPv6 as long as they don't need to, and you
> can still use it?

Yes, you misunderstood the question. While you not care about such
things, should I find myself tasked with building IPv6 capable
infrastructure, I would very much care just what "Being able to route
IPv6 traffic" meant.

	Benji