[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sat Mar 13 23:45:35 EST 2010

> >> How can a router that doesn't know anything about IPv6 make a
> >> forwarding
> >> decision for ("route") packets (datagrams) using an addressing
> system
> >> it
> >> knows nothing about?
> >
> > If you are on a network which does not do IPv6, and you need (or
> want) to do
> > IPv6, you can get an address assigned to you from some provider and
> > encapsulate the IPv6 packets in IPv4.  Much like doing a VPN tunnel
> > access your 10.x.x.x network at work from your 192.168.1.x network at
> home,
> > except that your IPv6 address is world routable.
> >

> Right. But none of the devices between the tunnel endpoints are
> _routing_ IPv6, they're routing IPv4 packets that just happen to have
> an
> IPv6 payload inside.

What's your point?  I assumed in the original question "how can a router
route IPv6 if it doesn't know IPv6" the intent was to demonstrate IPv6 was
unusable unless you had ISP and/or intermediate router support for it.  I
assumed the literal term _routing_ was not the single important word in the
question.  And I assumed that it would be valuable to demonstrate that IPv6
is usable even if your ISP or some intermediate router doesn't support IPv6.

Did I misunderstand the question?  Who cares if some dumb Linksys or your
ISP don't know anything about IPv6 as long as they don't need to, and you
can still use it?