[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sat Mar 13 15:42:31 EST 2010

> True, there are no killer apps today.

It's quite the other way around.  The only reason we don't have tons of apps
that require IPv6 is because of the general non-availability of IPv6.
Here's what I mean:

I recently went through a lot of effort exploring video conferencing and
other video solutions.  The benefit of IPv6 in this arena was painfully
obvious ... since I only have IPv4 all over the place.

Historically, we've all been able to survive with IPv4 for only one reason:
NAT.  But this is only sufficient if you don't have to satisfy much demand
for inbound traffic or peer-to-peer communications for dynamic clients
inside the LAN.  This has been a big limiting factor for deployment of video
conference stations and such ...

Nowadays, most peoples' laptops have webcams and microphones built-in.
Generally speaking (I know there are exceptions via STUN etc) the only way
to get traffic from client A to client B on different networks over IPv4 is
for both clients to make outbound connections to some 3rd party relay...
which requires network overhead, software and hardware, at a central
location ...  Not peer-to-peer.

Now if only there were some way for these two clients to route traffic
directly to each other...   ;-)  IPv6 would be a huge improvement for this
purpose.

> Will there be an app that directly draws people to IPv6?  No.  It is a
> chicken and egg problem.

Agreed on chicken-and-egg.  But the availability of IPv6 breaks the
catch-22, and people will see that as "Gee, skype video doesn't suck as long
as my ISP supports IPv6" or something like that ... so it becomes a draw to
IPv6.