[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Tom Limoncelli tal at whatexit.org
Fri Mar 12 01:01:23 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Dean Anderson <dean at av8.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
>> Other people (we'll call these people "the successful ones") go to
>> their boss and say, "There's one specific thing I want to do with
>> IPv6. Here's why it will help the company.  I promise not to touch
>> anything else."
>
> Except that there is no killer IPV6 app or service.  There is no one
> thing that anyone "just has to do". After 15 years of pie in sky, IPV6

Oh please, can't we all just get along?

Slow down, cowboy.  I didn't say IPv6 was good or bad.  Did I?  The
question was "how to deploy it" and I gave 2 constructive suggestions.

Discussions of beauty and truth weren't requested.

Is IPv6 ugly?  Hell yeah!  So is IPv4.  Oh, so is CLNS, X.25, and
Kermit (the protocol, not the Frog.  I love that frog.  Not that new
Brian Henson clone; the original Jim Henson frog.  Don't misquote me.)
 Other ugly things? HTML, Linux, Unix, VMS, ASCII, Unicode, the V.90
modem standard... oh, heck, it's better if someone sings it to you:
http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/ossuckscable.html~content

You called IPv6 a failure.  Technically, we won't know if it is a
failure until we run out of IPv4 addresses.  I never thought it would
actually be deployed until the last minute.  Did anyone fix Y2K issues
in the 1980s?

But anyway...

True, there are no killer apps today. Except the 2 that I mentioned.
The other killer app is "any ISP that has a business plan that depends
on growth past 2012". That's a very meaningful and real business case
for ISPs, hosting companies, and large web-based businesses.  Sadly
there aren't more than handful of those in the world.  Plus, that's an
indirect benefit.  People don't buy a car, they buy a way to get from
point A to point B.

Will there be an app that directly draws people to IPv6?  No.  It is a
chicken and egg problem.  However, AFTER ipv6 is widely deployed I
predict killer apps will arise.  I don't know what they are but they
will be in the category of "things you can do in a world without NAT",
or one might simplify that to just: "The benefit of IPv6 is that
everyone can be their own server".  P2P will go from being a
fringe/rare thing, to a common way of doing things.  Not for file
sharing, but for everything: IM, phone calls, and hopefully apps that
we can't imagine today.

"The benefit of IPv6 is that you can be the server (again.. like in
the 1990s before NAT)"

Tom

--
http://EverythingSysadmin.com  --  http://www.TomOnTime.com
Computer and network administrators... Spread the word!