[BBLISA] Recommendation for NAS appliance?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sat Mar 6 21:22:45 EST 2010

> Exactly.  There's the rub, which is having to bump off oldest snaps,
> which can cause problems.  Esp if a user generates a single 500Gb
> file, which fills a volume.  Now you have to bump off all your snaps
> to get rid of that single, unwanted chunk of data.  Been there, done
> that.

Agreed.  I hate giving up my old snaps to free up disk space whenever some
user filled it up.  But that's a fundamental problem associated with any
snapshotting system, so I see it as unavoidable, unless somebody invents a
filesystem that can do snaps and exclude certain files ... or some way to
delete a specific file from a snap.