[BBLISA] Recommendation for NAS appliance?

David N. Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:13:33 EST 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> ZFS send to the Dell, and from there backup to tape.

So out of curiosity, what format are your tapes? I recall reading some place that the ZFS send format is considered an internal format and may be subject to change (and hence shouldn't be used as the native format for archival purposes).

Now, on the Netapp backup side, there's at least one more twist to consider (we're a long standing customer, and generally love them): with CMR17 in place, there's some thinking that it mandates all of your backup tapes must be encrypted, perhaps even if they never leave the premises. If you hang a tape library right off of the the filer, you don't really get the ability to stick encryption in there. We've been exploring/testing other options short of $$$'s to $COMMERCIAL_BACKUP_VENDOR with the library hanging off of a dedicated machine. I'd be curious how others are dealing with this situation.

    -- dNb