[BBLISA] Recommendation for NAS appliance?

Mark Lamourine mlamourine at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 19:18:19 EST 2010

Paul Beltrani wrote:
> We're looking for a basic, enterprise class appliance to serve 15TB to
> 30TB of mission critical storage via NFS.   We're considering the
> offerings from NetApp and EMC but they're much more than we need. For
> example, we don't need features like mirroring or remote replication.

Disclaimer: I work for Snoracle, and in the X86 hardware group (QA).

How about a thumper?  (x4540).  They can serve at least 24TB/chassis,
and I think with 1TB disks instead of the 500GB SATA drives I have in
the one I use at work you'd have 48TB raw storage.  You would want to
run Solaris and use ZFS.

$25K for 24TB unit, $50K for 48TB unit, 4xGBE ethernet and room for
additional quad NICs if needed.

I honestly can't tell you how that compares with the alternatives.

- Mark