[BBLISA] Journalist (me) seeking shortish quotes/info for "Windows 7 migration gotchas (and wins)" feature article for ITWorld

Daniel Dern dern at pair.com
Wed Jul 21 09:53:31 EDT 2010

For a feature article on "Windows 7 migration gotchas (and wins)"
I'm doing for ITWorld (www.ITWorld.com), I'm looking primarily for a
few more IT sources (identified w/name/title/company, or fully
or party anonymized, e.g. "YOURNAME, a sysadmin," or even
"according to a grizzled sysadmin at a big midwestern free-range
potato ranch").

By email and/or phone, ASAP (today or tomorrow, my deadline got
away from me).

I need another 4-6 items, including "gotcha" surprises you've
experienced, some of the more challenging problems you may
have encountered... and hopefully a few things that went as
anticipated (in a good way), perhaps even better (less badly) than
anticipated, and (if there are any), one or two "wins" --
expected/unexpected benefits.

We can do this by email, or by phone; basically, I'll need:

- Your name, title, company, URL and appositive (or anonymized
   version, per above)
- Scope of migration, e.g., "replacing 500 Win XP and Vista desktops
   with 500 new machines running Win7," "upgrading 1,200 Win XP SP2
   desktop to Win7, including RAM/HDD upgrades on about 25%, and
   replacing 300 notebooks."
- Gotcha, problem, etc
   = Expected or unexpected
   = Impact on IT and on general operations
   = Solution
   = Cost of solution (and how much was unanticipated)
   = (How) could this problem have been avoided?  I.e., now that
     you know, what would have have done differently?

- Benefits or other wins
   = Expected or Unexpected
   = Benefit
   = Downside to the benefit?
- Other advice, comments, complaints, criticisms.

I'll confirm your quote back to you by email, and when the
article runs, will email you with the URL.

Again, email is fine; if we do it by phone, I doubt
any chat will take more than 10 minutes.

I'm a free-lance technology writer, providing bylined articles
and columns, as well as PR writing, editorial and consulting services,
especially case histories, interviews, FAQs, OpEds, releases and
feature articles.

FYI, here's links to my previous article for ITWorld:
   <http://www.dern.com/artic.shtml#ITWorld>
and other IT system/network management-oriented articles:
   <http://www.dern.com/artic.shtml#Net+SysAdmin>

Thanks for your help!

Daniel P. Dern
617-969-7947
dern at pair.com

   Daniel Dern - Freelance technology writer (bylined & PR)
   Email: dern (at) pair (dot) com  Website: http://www.dern.com
     -> LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/danieldern
     -> Tech blog: http://www.TryingTechnology.com
     -> PR Blog:   http://www.DernsPRTips.com