[BBLISA] Telecommunications Recommendations...

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Tue Jul 13 10:21:36 EDT 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Richard 'Doc' Kinne
>
> I'm in the midst of taking a look at re-doing our internet service. We
> currently have a sychronous DS1 line (1.5Mbps in and out) which, being

Of course, your solution depends on what your bandwidth needs are,
reliability, cost, and availability.  That being said, a T1 or SDSL are just
about the worst bang-for-the-buck you can possibly find, and I can totally
understand the motivation to switch to something faster and/or cheaper.

If available, cogent offers symmetric 2Mb/s for roughly the same cost as a
T1 ($500 or so/mo) but if you want, you can spend $1000 and simply remove
the bandwidth throttle, and jump up to 100Mb symmetric.

If available, I'm impressed with FiOS speed, reliability, and price.  You'll
have to inquire about the static IP's and so forth.

Recently when it was hot, my neighbor's comcast line (including phones) kept
going up and down.  Presumably some equipment in the street overheating
somewhere.  My FiOS had no problems.

At a former job, I had comcast business cable modem.  For some reason, even
on the business line, they filtered traffic.  (Blocked port 22 inbound to my
site) ... and while I called support, they denied it despite the fact that
it was purely and easily provable by packet capture and tracing.  We ended
just arguing about it, and I gave up trying to get it to work.