[BBLISA] Telecommunications Recommendations...

David Miller david3d at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:56:39 EDT 2010

Where I work we have a dual wan setup with a T1 and Comcast Business (16mbit
down and 2mbit up).  I monitor both links from our gateway as well as
Zenoss.  The main difference between the links are SLA.  There are many
arguments for and against SLA's I tend to think that they are pretty
worthless but they are a way out of a contract if the provider isn't living
up to their responsibilities.  So here's my experience with both links.

Now I'm in southern NH so YMMV at your location.

*Speed:  *We have consistently gotten 16+ mbit's down on Comcast and 2
mbit's up.  So on the business side they don't seem to over subscribe as
much as they do on the consumer side.

*Support:*  I haven't had to rely on either vendor for much support but
both our T1 and Business Comcast support numbers quickly get you to a real
tech support person, located in the US.  Level 1 tech support at a T1 type
provider tends to be a little more knowledgeable but the Comcast level 1
support guys are surprisingly competent and not just walking you through a
flow chart.

*Availability:* This is very slightly in favor of the T1 but it's really a
toss up as I only looked back 3 months.  But here's some numbers and my
thought on them.

Link          Availability      Number of Outages      Max Duration      Avg
T1            99.99746%                  12                        1:29
        0:17
Comcast   99.97244%                    4                      29:14
    9:02

So you're paying a lot of money to gain that last 00.025%.  Also to be fair
to Comcast here the max outage duration for Comcast was at 2:16am on 5/19.
 And there was also 5:34 outage at 2:04am.  I never called them to find out
what the cause of that outage was but I'm sure if I look back far enough
I'll see a similar outage on the T1.  Also another of those 4 outages was
due to me rebooting the Comcast router, more on that in a second.  So if we
take out those 3 data points then the Comcast line would look like this.

Comcast   99.99900%                    1                      0:19
  0:19

*Comcast Warts*:  We have had one problem with Comcast.  I think it's more
of an issue with the SMC router/cable modem that they gave us.  But every
now and then it will stop routing certain packets properly.  It's a very odd
problem that manifests itself way down stream from any Comcast network and
will only affect 1 site and the only way to get it to route properly is to
reboot the router.  It takes 1 minute for the router to reboot.  So when
someone here complains that they can't access 1 site but everything else is
working I bounce the router to solve the problem.

During the ice storm a while back we lost power to our building for 1 week.
 Luckily we were running our servers and routers on a generator.  But our
Comcast link was down for a week while our T1 was up and running the entire
time surprisingly.

--
David