[BBLISA] Fwd: Re: Fileserver opinion

Ben Eisenbraun bene at klatsch.org
Thu Aug 26 13:56:13 EDT 2010

> On 8/26/10 1:19 PM, Rudie, Tony wrote:
> > I would recommend an NFS appliance in this case, (and actually in every
> > case, mine included) either from NetApp or Sun or someone else.

We're in academia.  And in research computing.  That means cheap, DIY
solutions because we have more time than money, and the uptime and
availability requirements are not very high.

We have some Sun hardware that was bought when they gave 50% discounts to
academia.  Oracle dropped that program post-haste.

NetApp is a non-starter.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 01:26:46PM -0400, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
> We have a $10k budget, so I don't think we can afford any "appliance"
> solution, unless someone knows otherwise.

Buy a whitebox SuperMicro machine and put NexentaStor Community Edition on
it et voila!  An appliance-y OpenSolaris+ZFS solution with a web interface
so you're not forced to learn too much.

-ben

--
if you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing.
                                              <kingsley amis>