[BBLISA] Fwd: Re: Fileserver opinion

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 26 13:26:46 EDT 2010

On 8/26/10 1:19 PM, Rudie, Tony wrote:
> I would recommend an NFS appliance in this case, (and actually in every
> case, mine included) either from NetApp or Sun or someone else.  Simpler
> than dealing with a general purpose OS.   You still have to deal with a
> new platform for monitoring and backups, but everything else will be a
> little easier than building it yourself.

We have a $10k budget, so I don't think we can afford any "appliance"
solution, unless someone knows otherwise.  For $10k it looks like we can
get:

2x4core 2.4 GHz Intel Nehalems
3U 16 bay chassis w/ SAS2 extender for expansion storage shelves
24 GB RAM
4 TB RAID10 storage + hot swap (SATA 6 GB/s, 10k RPM drives)
1.2 TB RAID10 storage + hot swap (SAS2 6 GB/s, 15k RPM drives)
2 port TOE Intel GigE NIC
Adaptec MaxIQ SAS2 RAID controller with 64 GB SSD read cache and BBU
600 GB SATA 10k RPM system drive

Ian