[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

David Miller david3d at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:42:12 EDT 2010

What does your zpool look like?  Ideally if you're using RAIDz or RAIDz2
then you should be using multiple RAIDz sets in the pool.  This way IO is
stripped across the RAIDz sets and any degradation, and recovery, should
only involve the smaller RAIDz set.  Which should be relatively quick
depending on the size and type of drives involved.

I just had to resliver a mirrored pool of 250GB drives that I have in my
home file server.  It took about 5 hours for it to resliver.  But ZFS only
reslivers the used space and not the entire drive like with hardware
solutions.  So ZFS should rebuild faster than most other solutions.
--
David