[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Aug 13 12:14:02 EDT 2010

In message <20100813160729.GB21022 at carbon.delete.org>,
Toby Burress writes:
>On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:21:28AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> But I'll say this: Scrap netapp, and go with ZFS.  I did this about
>> a year  ago, and I am SOOOO  happy I did.  ZFS  does everything and
>> more  than netapp.  I  can run  it on  commodity Dell  (or whatever
>> blackbox) hardware.  I  can build a cheap "backup"  server which is
>> regularly instantly(ish)  snapshotted from the  primary server, and
>> all of it is migrated and stored offsite.
>>
>> Seriously, the features and performance of ZFS over Netapp or
>> EXT3/4 are hands-down just plain superior and awesome.
>
>scrub: resilver in progress for 43h49m, 63.84% done, 24h49m to go

Well where I work we have two major pain points with ZFS performance:

  when the filesystem gets > 90% full performance just drops

  scrubbing a large data set slows down access sufficiently that we can
    see the performance impact in our processing

Also why not just use /etc/esports I mean come on (with the newest
updates you have to use zfs commands to do the exports).

However we have gone through a few disk failures and changeover was
quick and relatively easy to recover from.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard