[BBLISA] Mapping inode numbers to file names

David N. Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 28 11:28:11 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Dean Anderson wrote:

> I can't think of any alternative to recursively decending the file space
> looking for the inode. Find might not be the fastest program, though.

Ok, now you've peaked my interest. Two questions:

1) Are there any other cool filestystem-walking tools out there? I'm willing to believe someone has done a faster version of find that I just haven't heard of. I know about stuff like ack, but is there an ffind in existence?

2) Could one do anything smart when looking for the inode based on its number and how inode numbers are allocated? I don't know how random the allocation is and whether numeric proximity relates at all to hierarchical proximity.

      -- dNb