[BBLISA] Mapping inode numbers to file names

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Apr 28 08:32:26 EDT 2010

Remember that hard-linked files all have the same inode number. In fact,
the inode keeps track of the number of links and you should find
numlinks files with that inode number.

I can't think of any alternative to recursively decending the file space
looking for the inode. Find might not be the fastest program, though.

		--Dean

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> Let's suppose you rename a file or directory.
>
> /tank/widgets/a/rel2049_773.13-4/somefile.txt
>
> Becomes
>
> /tank/widgets/b/foogoo_release_1.9/README
>

> Let's suppose you are now working on widget B, and you want to look at the
> past zfs snapshot of README, but you don't remember where it came from.
> That is, you don't know the previous name or location where that file used
> to be.  One way you could do it would be:
>

> Look up the inode number of README.  (for example, ls -i README)
>
>                 (suppose it's inode 12345)
>
> find /tank/.zfs/snapshot -inum 12345
>

> Problem is, the find command will run for a long time.
>

> Is there any faster way to find the file name(s) when all you know is the
> inode number?  (Actually, all you know is all the info that's in the present
> directory, which is not limited to inode number; but, inode number is the
> only information that I personally know could be useful.)

617 256 5494