[BBLISA] Chucking samba

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Apr 28 08:42:51 EDT 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Sean OMeara wrote:
> The methods in play here are: "use what's proven to work" instead of
> "trying to graft alien and potentially unstable in the
> medium-to-long-term technology onto windows desktops for the sake of
> avoiding AD".

Well, its not just for the purpose of avoiding AD. If you have an
all-Windows environment, I'd tell clients to use AD. (And I have and
did) They've already paid for it, its already installed, and it will
work for their purposes.

But lets not pretend that Samba is any less alien and potentially
unstable than anything else. MS has previously made changes that break
Samba, too.  (MS made changes in authentication that appeared to merely
break Samba).

If you really want to use AD on *nix, then you should look into getting
OSF DCE updated to modern platforms. (not a trivial undertaking, but
perhaps worthwhile.)

		--Dean

617 256 5494