[BBLISA] Chucking samba

Grant Young grant at toaster-repair.com
Mon Apr 26 18:30:23 EDT 2010

I hate to say it but sometimes Microsoft has made a couple of good technical choices that have stuck.  The first was to incorporate TCP/IP natively when Novell Netware was still using IPX/SPX.  The second was making a fairly dead simple Kerberos implementation and incorporating a decent LDAP directory behind it instead of Hesiod.  OK, so they stole the soul of Kerberos and made it their own, but they made it work for folks with less than a BS in EECS from MIT or CMU.  That's what Active Directory is and almost everyone of note will play with it.

I attended a class in the implementation of AFS at LISA a few years ago.  I pretty much left after the first break.  I had experienced AFS at MIT and thought it might be a good secure filesystem to use in public facing network.  But basically, it takes too much rocket science to implement and support in a commercial environment.

You have to wonder that TransArc tried to make it commercial and managed to get IBM to buy them on the promise, but then IBM gave up on it when there was no market and threw it back into the open source world.  It failed commercially because it was too complex technically.

I'm sure that people will throw bricks at me but my job is to solve business problems not exercise a hobby.  AFS is a hobby.