[BBLISA] A question on DHCP "shoulds".

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.COM
Wed Sep 2 20:53:55 EDT 2009

On 2 Sep 2009, at 1759 , Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> I'm going to take the opposing viewpoint, if only to make this a more
>> lively discussion.

>> Enforcing this level of documentation upkeep,
> ...The only additional work is the time required
> to type the IP once into the config screen of a new server.  The
> only time
> you'll ever gain anything with DHCP assignment for servers is in the
> event
> you ever renumber your network.

But, remember, DHCP can do things other than assigning addresses.
DHCP options allow one to configure NTP, NIS, DNS, etc.  Dealing with
the client ramifications of changing your DNS servers can be almost as
much fun as renumbering your network.  Especially if you have a
sufficiently diverse set of hosts that reasonable tools for managing
this stuff are impractical to implement...