[BBLISA] A question on DHCP "shoulds".

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Wed Sep 2 17:59:13 EDT 2009

> I'm going to take the opposing viewpoint, if only to make this a more
> lively discussion.
>
> My opinion is that the only machines in an environment that should be
> set statically are the DHCP and DNS servers and, if these are
> virtualized, the hosts which make up the virtualization
> infrastructure.
>
> Enforcing this level of documentation upkeep,

The interesting thing there, is ... Either you create a DHCP reservation and
use it, or you create DHCP reservation, don't use it, and call it
"documentation upkeep."  ;-)  The only additional work is the time required
to type the IP once into the config screen of a new server.  The only time
you'll ever gain anything with DHCP assignment for servers is in the event
you ever renumber your network.

Still, if you just don't feel right creating a dhcp reservation without any
intent to ever use it...

Let there be a block of static IP's used by static servers, and let there be
a nonoverlapping dynamic range.  No matter how things turn out, you have to
document the reserved IP addresses somewhere.  I personally prefer to
document my reservations in DNS and DHCP reservations.