[BBLISA] ntp question

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Wed Mar 18 17:57:42 EDT 2009

>     NTP is frustratingly complicated when really all you want is "make
> clock go".

In fact - It's actually shocking that it's not that simple.  When you wake
up and look at your clock, and discover you're late for work, do you refuse
to believe the clock and ignore it?  Of course not.  You panic and run to
get ready for work, and look at another clock along the way just to be sure.

It's really funny how ntpd silently fails if the offset is too large.  Well,
maybe there's something in syslog if you're monitoring for it.

Also - it's shocking that something as supposedly simple as checking the
time - they can't make a daemon that works 100% of the time.  Why is it that
so many people here (including myself) indicated we've had problems with
ntpd ceasing to function, when it was already running and no reason for
anything to change today?

I guess that's all I want to say about it.  It seems so simple and basic.
Yet it's become complicated and unreliable just cuz it wasn't well designed
from the ground up.  Oh well.  The solution for me is cron ntpdate.   ;-)