[BBLISA] ntp question

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Wed Mar 18 17:03:13 EDT 2009

"R. Gary Cutbill" <rgary at kluge.net> writes:

> I like to set up my ntp configurations so that I have a few authoritative
> systems listed "servers", and then include a few of my local systems as
> peers. Then I establish fudge entries on those local systems with high
> stratum settings  (say 12 or so).
>
> That way, if the 'real' servers become unreachable (because of a network
> outage, or firewall issue) then my local systems will have agreement on
> what time it is.  For most stuff (like make) it doesn't really matter if
> the
> time is right, it just needs to be the same as the other machines around it.

    Good example of what I was saying: the right tool for the scenario
you describe is orphan mode.  Multiple servers using LOCAL fails in a
bunch of cases.  It's only supported in single point of failure
configurations -- in other words, pick how you want to fail.

    NTP is frustratingly complicated when really all you want is "make
clock go".