[BBLISA] ntp question

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Tue Mar 17 17:47:36 EDT 2009

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> It seems to me, a very rare situation where a 5 second difference would
> cause such a severe consequence.  It's almost difficult to imagine how it
> even could.

In our case, there was a file which appeared on one machine which was
not visible on another, both being NFS clients of a 3rd machine (all
machines virtual RHEL5.1).

I didn't think such extreme behavior was time related but I fixed time
skew first because I'd experience NFS squirreliness years ago with time
skew and wanted that out of the way while I psychoanalyzed the
machines.  However, as soon as I had the time synced the problem went
away and hasn't been back since.

Such symptom still seems very extreme for such a lowly cause, but until
it comes back when times are in sync I'm assuming correlation.

I did have the rather extreme case that vmtools was syncing the machine
against the host system which was several minutes skewed relative to the
time server and ntpd was *also* running.  Thus I had 2 competing time
sync processes and poor NFS being beaten up between them.

--
Dewey