[BBLISA] Why do Linux rescue CDs make SATA disks look like SCSI ?

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Thu Jan 15 09:56:23 EST 2009

The change causing non-SCSI disks to appear as sdX rather than hdX is not
distro specific, it's a base kernel change.  With very new kernels, both
IDE and SATA appear as SCSI disks.  There is some information available
online as to why this change was made.  For a brief overview, see:

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_19#head-cdcbaa9c1b476decdc064e0a75d23d1328b1ddce

In general, I would use rescue disks from the same distro as the installed
system.  Having said that, my sysadmin hat is starting to fit poorly as
I've been a programmer for several years now, so take my advice with a
grain of salt.

Dave