[BBLISA] Odd Rsync Behavior...

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Sat Jan 10 10:53:26 EST 2009

"Edward Ned Harvey" <bblisa3 at nedharvey.com> writes:

> Actually, I have the same behavior - with files "vanished" - But when I =
> do my rsync, the source is a snapshot.  So it's impossible for the file =
> to have changed in between the initial scan and actual attempted copy.  =
> So truly I have no explanation.  And I am made uneasy by this as well.

    If you are able to reproduce this, strace/ktrace/truss ought to
shed some enlightenment on what's going on here; the only way that
rsync should be getting the idea that a file doesn't exist is because
the kernel said so.

    Rsync's code suggests that it can also produce this message if
you're using -L on a system without lstat() support, but it seems
unlikely that any such beast exists in 2008.