[BBLISA] Odd Rsync Behavior...

Richard 'Doc' Kinne rkinne at aavso.org
Fri Jan 9 16:12:29 EST 2009

Folks:

Thanks much for all of the responses yesterday with regard to my
backup issue.

One of the advantages I thought I had with regard to the "cp" method
was, if something turned up missing, I'd be able to nearly "click-and-
drag" the backup file back to the system thereby restoring it. This
was one of the reasons I'd not investigated "dump" or "tar" more
closely yet.

I decided to try "rsync" because not only did some of you folks
recommend and use it, but also I had a friend in MN who recommended it.

The partition I am trying to back up is coming from an NFS mounted
volume and going to an attached external Firewire drive. The command
I used in this test was:

/usr/bin/rsync -ral --progress --stats --times --perms /Volumes/mira/
scsi /Volumes/burly_1/Mira/ --delete

Initially /Volumes/burly_1/Mira was empty.

All went fine for a few hours. Then, seemingly toward the end, with
the "web" directory (probably the most important, of course!) I
started getting lines like:

file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/vsx/submit/
qry_getRemarks.php"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/vsx/submit/qry_getStar.php"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/vsx/submit/
qry_getVarTypes.php"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/vsx/submit/
qry_updateMethod.php"
scsi/web/zapper/
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/.DS_Store"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/._index.shtml"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/._zapper.jnlp"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/._zapperButton.jpg"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/._zapperdoc.shtml"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/._zapperhelp.shtml"
file has vanished: "/Volumes/mira/scsi/web/zapper/Zapper.jar"

This is a small sample toward the end. There were hundreds of lines
like this, almost as if rsync had just decided to give up.

I went to /Volumes/mira/scsi/web/* and I was able to determine that
these files were indeed there!

Rsync ended with this data:

Number of files: 766415
Number of files transferred: 746551
Total file size: 66995757081 bytes
Total transferred file size: 66995737633 bytes
Literal data: 43101421090 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 17422528
File list generation time: 779.208 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 43129805144
Total bytes received: 16543326

sent 43129805144 bytes  received 16543326 bytes  6411523.66 bytes/sec
total size is 66995757081  speedup is 1.55
rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred
(code 24) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/main.c(992)
[sender=2.6.9]

============

I'm not sure where to go from here. The data says that 746551 files
were transfered out of 766415, but I'm not even sure about that.

The number of bytes in the "Total size" and in the "Literal data" are
confirmed by running "du" on those areas, so those numbers are right.

I'm not sure what would stop the rsync, or what I may be doing
wrong.  Any thoughts from those who've used this?
---
Richard 'Doc' Kinne, [KQR]
American Association of Variable Star Observers
<rkinne @ aavso.org>