[BBLISA] System Backup thoughts and questions...

Arthur Gaer gaer at math.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 8 18:12:58 EST 2009

The Solaris 10 man page suggests:

        example% cd fromdir; tar cf - .| (cd todir; tar xfBp -)

Which has always worked for me under both Solaris 10 and previous
incarnations.

On the other hand in Solaris "cp -pr" also does the right thing for
me, perserving ownership, permissions, last mod date, etc, even cping
entire multi-GB file systems.

In the distant past, I believe the -p option didn't work properly in
SunOS across NFS (or was that Ultrix?).  Seems to be ok now, though.

Arthur Gaer
gaer at math.harvard.edu

Senior Systems Manager, Department of Mathematics
Harvard University, 617-495-1610, FAX: 617-495-5132