[BBLISA] System Backup thoughts and questions...

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Thu Jan 8 17:41:19 EST 2009

GNU tar will strip the leading '/' off by default, unless you use the -P
or --absolute-names option.

However, I would always caution against using absolute paths unless you
KNOW what its going to do, especially with tar since there are plenty of
versions that don't have this safety feature.

I don't think I've used "cp -r" in many years. The tar method was
preferable as it maintained permissions, times, etc.

I'm using rsync a lot more now, especially between systems over ssh.