[BBLISA] Recover files from formatted HD

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Thu May 15 23:09:53 EDT 2008

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Nothing awesomely complex or unusual here.

What Ben meant is that it would have been unusual for it to be an NTFS
formatted drive being used with a Mac. That it was a Mac native drive
that got formatted over by NTFS isn't unusual...or at least it is
understandable how that happened.

> Based on looking around, all the tools which recover formatted or deleted
> files seem to perform regardless of past or present filesystem.  Since they
> perform read-only at the block-level, looking for recognizable patterns
> "this looks like a jpg" and "this looks like a .doc file" etc.

A tool designed specifically for an OS X native file system might have a
better chance at recovery, as it might be able to make use of any file
system metadata that didn't get destroyed in the reformat, and might
have a better chance of chasing down the blocks of a fragmented file.

Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> I've used Restorer 2000 in the past...

I've used that as well, and it seemed to work good, but it is NTFS specific.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA