[BBLISA] Recover files from formatted HD

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu May 15 22:30:58 EDT 2008

Nothing awesomely complex or unusual here.  A top executive has a mac at
home, with all his photos and junk on it.  He brought in his external hard
drive, and hooked it up to his dell at work.  Naiively assuming it would
work.  Windows says "new drive found" and "drive not initialized. Initialize
now?"  So he clicks yes.  Initializes and formats the drive.  All his files
are gone, he calls me for help, I take his drive away to prevent further
damage.

Based on looking around, all the tools which recover formatted or deleted
files seem to perform regardless of past or present filesystem.  Since they
perform read-only at the block-level, looking for recognizable patterns
"this looks like a jpg" and "this looks like a .doc file" etc.

I actually bought an $80 tool, used it, recovered some stuff, but certainly
not 100%.  Just looking for other peoples' experience, to see if it's
better, worse, or same as mine.