[BBLISA] Incremental backups?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Mar 15 13:03:00 EDT 2008

You could buy a cheap sata controller for your linux box, some cheap big
disks, and run the samba shares off the linux box.  Then you can use
dump or whatever on the sata drives.

You can also buy still more disks and use cheap software raid, or even a
real sata raid controller.  At least you have more upgrade options
later. Sounds like you have "no-raid, no backups" (NRNB--translates to
"disaster lies in your future") at the moment. Tar incremental is
probably better than nothing, though.  But there are probably a lot of
things possible for not too much money.

I've also grown quite fond of sata hotswap frames that fit into a 5 1/4
inch drive slot. Never underestimate the bandwidth of a 500Gig sata
drive hurtling down the highway. (a play on Tanenbaum's quote ;-)

		--Dean