[BBLISA] Error reading block x (Attempt to read block...)

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Mar 6 08:34:03 EST 2008

> better than dump or dd: http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
> ddrescue.html
> I've rescued many, many GB of failing drives with this.  If the drive
> is really flaky, it can take a while.  I've waited months for large
> volumes to finish.  It hasn't let me down yet.

Seriously, the more you read it, the more likely you have more errors.  If
the drive is failing, it's because there's chemical breakdown of the
magnetic material in there, which spreads like rust, or there's debris or
the gas has somehow leaked out through a broken seal, in which case the head
itself might be skidding and causing the damage.

You really want to read it once, and restore onto a different disk, and then
start doing things like fsck.