[BBLISA] datacenter for compute cluster?

stephen g. wadlow sgw at wadlow.net
Wed Jun 4 22:36:53 EDT 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Jeff Wasilko wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 02:02:42PM -0400, Chris Palmer wrote:
>>

>> Anyone know of a good datacenter within 128 for a compute cluster?  I
>> don't need especially redundant internet links or power, just
>> someplace
>> I can get to if there's an outage, and decent power/cooling.
>
> Savvis is in the midst of opening up a 3rd datacenter in Waltham.
> They're building it for 150w/sq foot, which is light for a compute
> cluster....
>
> Not sure if you can find denser power in Boston though.

And if you don't need redundant internet links or power, then Savvis
is a good choice.   :)

150w/sq foot is a pretty good density for this area, sadly.   I
suspect that they're going that route because their other datacenters
are only partially full, and have (in the past at least) been tapped
out for power.   I also know a few too many people who've been
screwed by having Savvis-only bandwidth in the datacenter.   They
managed poorly with a big AT&T (one of their main bandwidth
providers)  outage about 18 months ago, a lot of their customers were
off the net for ~1-2 days.    Not something I expect from a datacenter.

						-steve