[BBLISA] datacenter for compute cluster?

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Wed Jun 4 18:53:09 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Palmer" <palmer+bblisa at azuen.net>
To: "David Allan" <dave at dpallan.com>
Cc: "Chris Palmer" <palmer+bblisa at azuen.net>; <bblisa at bblisa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [BBLISA] datacenter for compute cluster?

> On 04/06/08, David Allan wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Chris Palmer wrote:
>>
>> >for a cluster (one 30A/208V and one 20A/120V circuit together power
>> >the equipment I'd move into a colo), but that is denser than most
>> >colos can provide; they mostly concentrate on pulling in redundant
>> >links, when I really just need juice & cooling.
>>
>> You have so little stuff you need to locate for so short a time, do
>> you know anybody with excess capacity in a small server room that
>> would sub-lease to you?  It seems like one of those problems that
>> might be easier to solve in a non-sustainable way, i.e., get somebody
>> to do you a favor rather than a straight commerical transaction.
>
> I wish I did; unfortunately navigating that kind of bureaucratic
> transaction with $previous_university_employer is far beyond my personal
> patience.  the other usual suspects I could think of don't have the
> capacity.
>
> Anyone out there have the space and capacity?  We'd pay.

Hi Chris. I think BaseSpace.net might be able to handle your needs. I'm
pretty sure I have a 20A/120V circuit available; 208V power we would have to
build, but the total capacity is there.

Someone (not you) mentioned that you need it for a short time, what's the
deal with that? If you only need the space for a few months it will be
difficult to amortize the setup costs without making it very expensive.

One advantage we have is that being small we can be flexible about special
needs, like antennas or wacky power requirements.

 - Alex Aminoff
   BaseSpace.net