[BBLISA] datacenter for compute cluster?

Chris Palmer palmer+bblisa at azuen.net
Wed Jun 4 15:21:38 EDT 2008

On 04/06/08, Jon Young wrote:
> What kind of power density do you need?  That was the biggest issue when I
> last researched this (~ 2yrs ago) and I found that very few local
> datacenters can handle more than 30A at 110V or 40A at 220V/rack (yes, I realize
> they think in W/sqft but it is sometimes easier to think in terms of
> electrical utilization).  I found it too expensive to Colo our compute
> cluster and much more cost effective to simply build out a new datacenter
> room with proper A/C.  I know of others with similar issues and, while some
> are using (and hating) colos for this, most find it much more cost effective
> for compute clusters to remain at the office.

yeah that's the trouble I'm hitting.  my power requirements aren't huge
for a cluster (one 30A/208V and one 20A/120V circuit together power the
equipment I'd move into a colo), but that is denser than most colos can
provide; they mostly concentrate on pulling in redundant links, when I
really just need juice & cooling.

unfortunately building for us isn't really an option.  it's cost
prohibitive to build out a datacenter for just a half-rack of machines,
our lease is up at the end of the year, and our space isn't set up for
it anyway.  I really just want something where I can stick the thing to
get us through the summer & time until we move.

-Chris