[BBLISA] zimbra, exchange, etc

Sean Lutner sean at rentul.net
Mon Jun 2 22:42:55 EDT 2008

I implemented Zimbra as a corporate mail/calendar/etc at the last
place I worked and it was a workable replacement for Exchange though
it wasn't without it's issues.

At the time all the Windows folks were running VIsta and Outlook 2007
and I was forced to use a beta version of the Outlook connector. The
connector kept Outlook and the ZImbra server in sync for mail, GAL and
calendar. It allowed free/busy functionality once we replaced the self
signed cert that Zimbra provided that Outlook wouldn't trust.

As previously mentioned it's quite a resource hog. The mailstore/IMAP
portion of the system runs out of Tomcat and MySQL + Lucene are the
indexing system. This was running on a dual dual core AMD 64bit system
with 8G of RAM and we regularly saw load averages over 5 and all 8GB
of memory used.

There are a number of good tuning pointers for larger installations
and supposedly version 5.x is much better. I suspect that being from
Comcast being in the middle of their implementation and providing
feedback.

HTH