[BBLISA] zimbra, exchange, etc

Jeff Wasilko jeffw at smoe.org
Mon Jun 2 10:25:07 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:16:41AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Based solely on their website, zimbra looks really awesome.  But I'd like to
> know if any of you are using it, and willing to provide some feedback about
> it for me.

When I was at Tufts, we were looking at it as a potential solution for
campus-wide mail. I've been running it at home since the end of last
year, too.

It's a bit resource-heavy, since it's almost all java (with mysql used
as the mailbox database. My home system is a 2.4ghz p4 with 3GB and a
6-disk raid-5 set (the next server will be raid-1, but this one was
already in place as a nfs/smb server and seemed like a good place to try
zimbra).

The webmail side is terrific, especially the full text searching (even
of attachments). It's also a solid IMAP server.

-j