[BBLISA] Re: PDA/Smartphone for *nix admin types?

Dave Pascoe km3t at km3t.org
Tue Jan 8 22:52:43 EST 2008

> For the archive and those of you following the thread, I've run into
> another problem with the BlackBerry in meeting the above requirements.
>   The handset does not have a native POP3 /IMAP client client.
> Access to POP3/IMAP service is done by RIM's servers which can then be
> accessed trough the handset.  In other words , RIM has a client, the
> handset does not.
>
> This may not seem like much of a distinction, but it does bring up two
> items to be aware of
>  1)  You have to provide your credentials to RIM so their systems  can
> access your email server.
>  2) They control how often your email account is polled for new mail.
> This is currently locked to 15 minute intervals

Right.

If you must use the Blackberry for other reasons, you're a little better
off simply forwarding email to the user's carrier email account.  Set
the Reply-To (which the client and servers both allow for - also sets
the From) to the real (forwarded) account.  And use the carrier's SMTP
server to send.

Not an ideal solution, but a decent compromise.

Dave
Happy Treo 755p User on VZW :-)