[BBLISA] Re: PDA/Smartphone for *nix admin types?

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:41:15 EST 2008

On Dec 16, 2007 12:42 PM, Paul Beltrani <spamgrinder at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently stuck with a BlackBerry Pearl.  I have nothing good to
> say about this device and would like to replace it with something that
> meets the following requirements:
>
>  1) Supports SMS for alerts from my monitoring systems
>  2) Supports basic email (POP would be fine for retrieving email)
>  3) Has basic web browsing capability
>  4) Supports an SSH client
>  5) Has a useful user interface. (Subjective,  but ANYTHING has to be
> better than RIM.)
>  6) Supports Scheduling (see catch below)
>
> Numbers 5 and 6 are the tough ones here.

For the archive and those of you following the thread, I've run into
another problem with the BlackBerry in meeting the above requirements.
  The handset does not have a native POP3 /IMAP client client.
Access to POP3/IMAP service is done by RIM's servers which can then be
accessed trough the handset.  In other words , RIM has a client, the
handset does not.

This may not seem like much of a distinction, but it does bring up two
items to be aware of
 1)  You have to provide your credentials to RIM so their systems  can
access your email server.
 2) They control how often your email account is polled for new mail.
This is currently locked to 15 minute intervals

  - Paul Beltrani