[BBLISA] WAP add-on?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Mon Jan 7 00:05:29 EST 2008

Nope.  WRT54G, while common and not too bad, is in fact a router, not an
access point.  Scott says he already has a router, just wants to add an
access point to it.  And that's the WAP54G.

So Scott, you have a choice -
(a) Keep your existing router, and add the WAP54G
or
(b) Get rid of your existing router, and replace it with the WRT54G

I personally recommend option (a) because although several other people here
recently expressed pleasure using the WRT54G, I do not share that pleasure.
I've always had stability problems with them.  I do however have pleasure
with the WAP54G.  It's so simple, being just a dumb WAP and all, no
intelligence required for routing.

I've also gone through the exercise of replacing the Linksys firmware with
openwrt, and found that it's a bit more robust, but still had similar
stability problems.

Who knows, maybe I had consistent hardware problems.