[BBLISA] Definition of dump levels?

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Sun Jan 6 08:41:03 EST 2008

I've seen conflicting definitions of what "Incremental" and
"Differential" are. What I always knew as the "classical" definition
(and what I always taught when I did) was that Incrementals were the
backups of any data changed since the last backup of ANY level.
Differentials were the backup of anything since the last full only -
thus Differentials would be larger than Incrementals over time.

Veritas Netbackup I believe defines it the other way.

Using my "classic" definition, dump levels are essentially a hybrid.
Level 1 is ALWAYS a differential, since the only level below that is 0.

Any other level done continuously would also be a differential from the
most recent lower level.

To get a true incremental using dump levels, you need to increase the
dump level each iteration - do a level 0, then a 1, then a 2, etc.

An old pattern I used was a 0 on the first Saturday of the month, then 1
through 4 through the remaining Saturdays. During the week, I'd skip
Sunday (little changed), and then levels 5-9 at night. Thus, everything
but the first was an incremental, saving time (and tape), but it mean
reading up to a max 10 tapes to do a restore.

Nowadays, with autoloaders and such and smarter restores, its less of an
issue going through a number of tapes. Legato Networker uses dump
levels, but also has a separate "incremental" setting (which uses my
"classic" definition), and I've used both Monthly fulls and Weekly fulls
with incrementals the rest of the way without problem.