[BBLISA] Definition of dump levels?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Sun Jan 6 08:26:55 EST 2008

A dump of any dump-level will backup all files that have changed since the
most recent dump of a lower dump-level.  This is basically an unnecessarily
large level of abstraction, the guys who originally wrote it were thinking
*way* broader than necessary.

There's a nice simple analogy, if you're familiar with Full / Incremental /
Differential backups.

* Think of a Full Backup like level 0.  It gets everything no matter what.
* Think of a Incremental like level 5.  It gets everything that changed
since the last full, and creates an intermediate stage, so your
differentials/level 9's don't have to copy that stuff again.
* Think of a Differential like level 9.  It gets everything since the most
recent 0 or 5.

Depending on how much data you're talking about, you might do something like
this:
Run a daily script, which does this:
	If today's the 1st of the month,
		Do a level 0.
	Else:
		If today's Sunday,
			Do a level 5
		Else:
			Do a level 9

That would get you your Monthly fulls, Weekly incrementals, and daily
differentials.

As mentioned by John, most people don't have a large enough quantity of data
to mess around with Incremental/level 5.  Most people will do something like
weekly level0, and daily level9.