[BBLISA] RE: storevault / netapp

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Feb 28 07:17:45 EST 2008

> > I think that Data ONTAP is, or was, a software product available to
> > purchase, if you could get it to run on some other hardware.  I think
> that
> > storevault as a company made their business by building sata systems,
> > cheaper than the regular netapp products, and out-compete netapp at
> their
> > own game, in the SMB market.  So netapp boughtout storevault.
>
> That is not my understanding. I'm curious if you have anything to
> support that. I believe that netapp came out with storevault to try to
> capture the SMB section of the market, as they tried to do with the
> f87.

I can't remember why I ever thought that; but I do know for sure that
storevault was a separate company competing against netapp, with lower cost
ATA and SATA architectures as opposed to the FC that netapp used.  And then
netapp acquired them.  So then I have to question, how could storevault
possibly compete against netapp with data ontap, unless they were somehow
able to distribute data ontap?  My only logical conclusion is that netapp
must have made data ontap available as a redistributable software product.

Probably I'm wrong about something, but I don't know what.