[BBLISA] RE: storevault / netapp

Peter Galvin pbg at cptech.com
Wed Feb 27 14:04:07 EST 2008

Rob, I should have been more clear. You could expand a RAIDZ/Z2 set with a
single disk but you don't want to.

There are certainly ways to add storage to ZFS pools. But you cannot add a
single disk to a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 pool to expand its capacity, reliably. If
you just add a single disk to a RAIDZ set as you show with your "add"
command, you would end up with a RAIDZ set plus a concatenated single disk
(i.e. That added disk is not RAID protected). Instead you could add for
example another RAIDZ2 set to an existing RAIDZ2 set.  See this Sun manual
for example:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-2271/6mhupg6iu?l=en&a=view&q=zfs+add

And this discussion:
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=106364&#106364