[BBLISA] RE: storevault / netapp

Rob Cambra robc at solarflares.net
Wed Feb 27 13:49:51 EST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Peter Galvin wrote:

> Theoretically, ZFS has much better data integrity than other file systems /
> volume managers / RAID controllers because it checksums all data and all
> metadata, all the time. Nothing else (that I know of) does this.

This is the reason I am biased towards ZFS and away from hardware -- I
would rather rely on a process of updating blocks to provide redundancy
than some chemicals "storing" some electrons.  Given high write throughput
environments can and often do require battery-backed write-cache, I will
do what I can to avoid such configurations.

-rob